[OpenIndiana-discuss] some problem with oi151a

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:08:55 UTC 2011

darkblue wrote:
> well, after spend a whole night to solve the crash problem,  I give up
> oi-151a on my supermicro c7q67, and go back to sol11, maybe, after one or
> two year, oi would be mature enough for production environment.
You surely need to pay a license fee for production use of S11ex/S11.

Also Usability of OI is what usability of Opensolaris was at dev version
134 and improving (KVM etc), so it is an open project one can contribute
with at least debug info and is free to contribute time and code to
Illumos, too.

I would like to point ot to all those wanting to try to use and have
both open development system (Openindiana 151a dev with illumos going
toward stable release) and closed proprietary Solaris 11 on same rpool
(yes it is possible, there are multiple Boot Environments available
under ZFS, therefore separade systems to boot),
to pay attention ad to do install of OpenSolaris snv_134 first
(get it from www.genunix.org from the time of release).
After you have opensolaris snv_134 running, you can both update to
OpenIndiana and get it's separate BE and also update to Solaris11Express
and after That to Solaris11, all on the same ZFS rpool!

Reason for installing first OpenSolaris and the upgrading is that Oracle
Solaris (closed source core OS) have "newer" ZFS file system
denomination, who's changes are unavailable and undocumented to the rest
of ZFS usage base across platforms (Illumos,OI, Linux kernel, Zfs-fuse,
FreeBSD etc).
By installing from OpenSolaris CD, you get closest ZFS version on-disk
that both closed Solaris and open Illumos-based Openindiana support,and
you can update them separately, boot as you like to one or another.

And just make sure NOT to do zpool upgrade or zfs upgrade commands from
Solaris 11. Otherwise, it would work just fine from same zpool. (minus
maybe some additional features of S11 that you can live without, anyway,
until open Illumos make new things, too, like KVM, etc).

N.