[OpenIndiana-discuss] IP Filter and IPv6

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Wed Nov 23 14:13:22 UTC 2011

Hi

It seems like I am hitting a bug concerning IPv6 and IP Filter. I have
created a very simple IPv6 firewall in /etc/ipf/ipf6.conf, which
basically only allows incoming ICMP pings and SSH:

    # Default policies
    pass out all keep state
    block in all

    # Allow ICMP
    pass in quick proto ipv6-icmp all keep state

    # Allow SSH
    pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = 22 keep state

The problem is that whenever the machine is started up with IP Filter
enabled, I cannot contact it over IPv6 until I have stopped and
started IP Filter ("svcadm restart ipfilter" is not enough).

I have checked the output of "ipfstat -nio6" both before and after IP
Filter has been stopped and started, and there are no differences in
the output.

I am thinking this may be a timing issue, but I don't know how I could
troubleshoot this further. This is on OpenIndiana b151a, and I see it
on two separate machines.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)