[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sun Ray versions on OI

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Sat Nov 26 16:07:49 UTC 2011

Hi Rainer,

I am using the newest version of SRSS.  I installed it on a completely
'fresh' install of OI and followed the instructions at
http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/SRS_5.1_on_Solaris_11_Express  and it
worked perfectly.

I had already set my system up for a static ip. So I skipped the first part.  What error are you getting on the rays?

Dan

      SRSS 4.2

First of all note that SRS 5 and SRS 5.1 both deliver SRSS 4.2. SRS 5.1
includes updates to SRSS 4.2 but they are in Solaris patch format and
Solaris 11 no longer recognizes that format, so you will not be able to
apply updates. You can choose to download/install SRSS from SRS 5 or
from SRS 5.1 and you will get the same result. The SRS 5.1 utinstall
program will issue a harmless error at the end about its inability to
apply patches.

      * Download SRSS from SRS 5 or SRS 5.1 and run utinstall (ignore
        the error at the end of the 5.1 install). *No need to reboot at
        this time!!!*
      * work around a couple of bugs
          o 6909966 [OSol] SRSS 5 GDM can't start X server on
            OpenSolaris osol-snv_129 (XKeepsCrashing)

mkdir /etc/opt/SUNWut/X11
echo "catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d">  /etc/opt/SUNWut/X11/fontpath

      *
          o 6911862 /opt/SUNWut/lib/Xnewt is unable to find
            libXfont.so.1 and libfontenc.so.1

ln -s /usr/lib/xorg /usr/X11/lib/X11/xserver

      * configure in the usual manner utilizing utadm and utconfig (and
        optionally utfwadm and utreplica), then activate the software
        (or reboot, and proceed to SRWC 2.3 instructions if desired):

/opt/SUNWut/lib/utctl enable

      * Ignore the GDM restart error from utctl, and restart via SMF:

svcadm restart gdm

      * If you do not intend to install SRWC, restart SRSS now:

/opt/SUNWut/sbin/utrestart -c

--
Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson