[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zone Networking under VirtualBox

Geoff Flarity geoff.flarity at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:30:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

I should preface this by saying that while I've used Solaris 10 for 3
years a developer, I'm a very novice sysadmin.

I'm very strongly considering using OI for a production deployment.
One requirement however is that it run inside VirtualBox so that
developers and create a VM for development testing and staging. Since
we'll be using zones in production, zones also need to work under
VirtualBox (OS X).

Right now I'm using 'bridged' networking mode' under VirtualBox to
boot OI. The global zone has it's own IP and everything seems fine.
When I try to create a VNIC and try to use in a zone no matter what I
try I can't reach the 'internet'. I'm not even sure what documentation
applies (OpenSolaris docs seem dated, there's not much info on the
wiki etc).

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right
direction here. The zones we create need to be able to hit the
internet. The dev's also need to be able connect to the zones from the
VirtualBox host OS. But that's about it.

Thanks in advance,
Geoff