[OpenIndiana-discuss] post-boot hang

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:43:59 UTC 2011

  Hi all,

I've just spent a bit more time testing my system. Simply doing the
following results in a boot hang:

# pkg install driver/i86pc/kvm
# reboot

If I make a zfs snapshot right before doing that, I can boot from
another BE in the grub menu, rollback to the snapshot and then boot in
my main BE.

If I disable all virtualisation features in my board's bios, then I get
a kernel panic, which was recorded to a zvol: rpool/dump (which is
nearly 8GB in size). With Virtualisation enabled, then it's the silent hang.

It's quite odd that if I install KVM fully, it loads at install time and
I can use it, but no luck rebooting later.

Has anyone else seen this sort of problem with KVM?