[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI and WWN names?

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Mon Oct 3 15:52:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 17:39, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz at druber.com> wrote:
> Note that only the last one seems to be a real device.  The first two seem
> to be stale from previous changes.  I am also not sure I believe the 2nd to
> last char ('d') is part of the WWN, since it is lower case and everything
> else is upper case - if it isn't, a character is missing?  And why does OI
> have the old info?  If I run the format command, it shows me the names of
> the devices actually present.  How do I find that out?  Thanks...

You can probably run "devfsadm -Cv" in order to clean up the device
names and find any drives which may have new names.

The trailing "d0" is from the Solaris specifications of designating a
hard drive. Hard drive names are written as "cXtXdX", which X replaced
by numbers (0-9 or hex). The lowercase letters are short for
Controller, Tray and Drive (or Disk?), respectively. Before the ZFS
days the names was usually followed by either "pX" or "sX" designating
the partition or slice number, but when ZFS is using an entire drive,
it is left out of the listing.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)