[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI and WWN names?

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Mon Oct 3 15:59:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 17:39, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz at druber.com> wrote:
> Based on my reading, the OUI for a WWN is 8 bytes - the 0014EE is Western
> Digital (this is correct), followed by 5 bytes (10 hex chars) of individual
> drive ID.

The Wikipedia page for WWN[1] tells the following:
"New addressing schema: the first nibble is either hex 5 or 6 followed
by a 3-byte vendor identifier and 36 bits for a vendor-specified
serial number"

This also matches your drives, here using c9t50014EE2AEDF73CEd0 as an example:

Nibble: 5 (4 bit / ½ byte)
Vendor identifier: 0014EE (24 bit / 3 bytes)
Serial number: 2AEDF73CE (36 bit / 4½ byte)
Total: 64 bit / 8 bytes

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Name

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards