[OpenIndiana-discuss] use zfs_nocacheflush

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Thu Oct 6 09:45:16 UTC 2011

Hi,
NFS on zfs can be quite a pain with large number of small files.
After playing around it, I discovered this zfs_nocacheflush flag bringing me back to high
performances on NFS.
Questions:
- How much unsafe is this?
- How can I check zfs caching status, to understand really what is staying on the cache and for how long?
- Are we talking about long term cache or fractions of second sync?
- Is there a sync tool to force zfs cache flush?
- Is there a way to set this flag on a per-pool basis, or on a per-dataset basis? (I may
want to enable this only on NFS shares).
Thanx for any help.
Gabriele.