[OpenIndiana-discuss] Best way to map SAS drives to physical positions

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 06:33:48 UTC 2011

On 07/10/2011 1:52 p.m., James C. McPherson wrote:
> On 7/10/11 10:41 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, October 05, 2011 02:03 AM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
>>> Hi Jeppe,

>>> Have you tried:
>>>
>>> /usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmtopo -V
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> It works with SES compatible JBOD enclosures and I can confirm it
>>> works with the LSI JBODs we use.
>>>

>> Thanks Alasdair for this!
>>
>> I get enclosure id and bay id with this command. But boy, it sure does
>> need lots of parsing.
>
> Or you could look at the headers in usr/include/scsi and write
> a utility that takes a topology snapshot, then walks and parses
> the entries therein.....

fmtopo or ipmi topo requires ipmi to be available.

With IPMI, yy fmadm output does report what Slot (Bay's numbering starts
at 0, Slots at 1) a faulty disk is in.

Alternatively, if your enclosure AND controller support ses, you can
also use gs2_utils and sg_ses.

The latest version has a --locate option which is missing from the
repository version.
I plan to compile the latest version and test it on a few storage
combinations to see if the magic happens.

Mark.