[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff at imap.cc
Sat Oct 8 22:12:01 UTC 2011

Hi Fini,

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 11:56 -0600, LinuxBSDos.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There seems to be plenty of resources for devs, but very little for
> end-users, especially those new to the Solaris way of doing stuff.
>
> There is a general discussion list, but I think it would be better if all
> that discussion takes place in a forum-like setting, instead of via a
> mailing list.
>
> I can volunteer to help set up and maintain one, and take care of other
> basic web-related chores.

The idea that OpenIndiana should have a forum has come up before, but
nothing has happened with that, because no one has stepped forward to
create one.

I suppose that one of the first things that would need to be done would
be to decide what software to use. The Linux forum I'm most familiar
with is Arch's. They use FluxBB and that seems to work fine for them.

What discussion board system would you prefer to use? Are you familiar
with maintaining a discussion board, if I may ask? I'm not sure if any
of the OI developers are.

As Bernd Helber remarked, forums can play a significant role in Linux
distributions, as they allow users to "have conversations". It would be
great if an initiative to create one for OI could be started.

Best regards,

Alex