[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sun Oct 9 19:37:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 12:32 -0700, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> >> I must be old-fashioned, but I find an NNTP server easier than forums (and less junk accumulating on my mail server).  Seamonkey has an adequate reader, although I prefer knews.  Those have nice threading, killfiles, etc.  And they're usually _much_ faster and less problems than a web forum.
> >
> > +1!!!
> >
> > Sad that newer generation seems to have missed this very useful protocol
> > - indeed, as some have argued, "the original groupware".
>
> Yes. as I said in a previous message, it seems the new generation of "internet" users are really "web" users. If it's not on the web it's doesn't really count. Sad.

Yet I have NEVER gone to e.g. FreeBSD forums for an answer.  Maybe they
got some good people there.  I don't know.  But I DO know that the lists
are where the true experts hang out.  Now if all you need is someone to
point you to /etc or something.... ???

The point is that it depends a lot on the particular community. And it's
goals.  OpenBSD, for example, has now desires for world domination and
could care less whether I eat their dog food or not.

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson