[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Oct 10 01:20:47 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 10, 2011 03:54 AM, LinuxBSDos.com wrote:

> I fail to see why you consider my statements "erroneous assumptions."
> Whether we like it or not, forums rule. The most prolific communities on
> the Internet are forums, or forum-like. answers.yahoo.com. facebook,
> Google Groups, are all forum-type communities.
>
> That I'm advocating for such is not necessarily a "personal preferences,"
> but a recognition of what I feel, based on what I've seem elsewhere, of
> what the community needs to do to bring all the goodies that oi has to
> offer to mainstream users. If you want to promote something, I think you
> can make the task a bit easier if you take it to where crowds like to
> gather.

But is OpenIndiana ready for the desktop? If you have a box with Nvidia
graphics, you might get away with a bit. What's the point in catering to
end users when it's not ready? Then if you put up a forum for said end
users and there is little to no experts on hand, you will just leave a
very bitter taste for any end user brave enough to give OpenIndiana a
try. Guess what that is going to do with OpenIndiana advocacy?