[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Mon Oct 10 23:28:38 UTC 2011

On Oct 10, 2011, at 7:22 PM, Robar Philip wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Tobias Famulla wrote:
>
>> If you change from Windows or even Mac OS to a posix-like system ….
>
> Windows and Mac OS both have POSIX, though one could argue as to how useful Windows’s is. OS X is actually UNIX certified.

The latter missing I think some optional subsets.

One difference I find annoying about Windows is how shares are handled differently on the client: with them only visible per-session.  If I have a drive mapped to a server on the graphic session, and log in again via telnet, it's not visible in that session.  More, mappings are different per-user (and have to be since I think authentication is only passed at the mapping time, or else becomes fixed then).  This means everyone has a different view of the total set of filesystems - and drive letters rather than true mounts into a single tree encourage that.  While there are cases where that might be useful, mostly it's a problem for network shares and local storage to behave differently in that regard.