[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Oct 11 00:23:52 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 05:44 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> My comment was not directed at anyone in particular, but more broadly
> scoped to include various posts that seem to keep holding up Linux like
> it's the holy grail.  I don't need another Linux option.  I do have an
> interest/need in something better than Linux, e.g. zfs, dtrace, and
> other enterprise grade features that Linux presently lacks.

Hi Linux basher. BTW, I don't remember anybody holding up Linux like
it's the holy grail. They were holding Ubuntu up like it's the holy
grail. FYI, there are plenty of Linux sysadmins that despise Ubuntu just
as much as you despise Linux.

ZFS an 'enterprise grade' feature now is it? So what are you going to do
when Oracle pushes out btrfs for Linux with the self same functionality
that ZFS has and maybe more? Jump ship? The rumour mills have this story
about Oracle doing a dtrace for Linux. Sounds fun?

You have missed the point of those posters 'holding up Ubuntu like it is
the holy grail'. They would like to see OpenIndiana get more exposure
and hopefully attract the attention of more developers to keep it from
dying. They have good intentions. Only problem is that most people who
do use OpenIndiana, including idiots like me (thanks Garrett), use it
for server purposes and not general desktop use like Ubuntu.