[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue Oct 11 02:03:19 UTC 2011

On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:32 PM, LinuxBSDos.com wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Please, for the sake of everybody's sanity, can people chill out and
>> stop arguing.
>>
>> This thread started as someone wanting to volunteer to help the project,
>> and it has descended into a flame fest. I'd kindly ask that people
>> respect the rules of the mailing list and stop flaming each other.
>>
>> Remember this is a public forum, and when people google your name, they
>> will find these posts; they are preserved forever.
>>
>> Think before hitting the send button.
>>

> It's been mildly amusing (and annoying at the same time) reading these
> exchanges that have very little to do with the reason for starting this
> thread. I only volunteered to help, based on this:
>
> "The current website needs to be better organized and some content
> directed at end-users, some content could be taken from the wiki. The wiki
> needs to be restructured and outdated pages need to be removed or
> updated."
>
> That quote, by the way, came from
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Getting+Involved, under Website and Wiki.
>
> So, even the person who wrote that saw a need to target end-users, which
> is why I volunteered to set up something that will appeal more to
> end-users. But the thread has devolved to this.
>
> The demo is still up at http://linuxbsdos.com/askopenindiana. If the
> community does not want it, if the decision makers are against it, I can
> just take it down. It took less than 10 minutes to put it up, and will
> probably take less than that to take down.

Well, if you want an _on_topic_ reply, sheesh, that's easy.

Look? A little blocky, like old Athena Widgets; but fine for a prototype, no sense knocking yourself out on that stuff yet.  Functionality?  Looks fine at a quick glance, haven't actually tried to post.  (Does it handle attachments as well as images?)  Premise?  Entirely reasonable, IMO.  Voting?  Mixed - I've seen that turn into popularity contests, or into something that favored style over substance in postings.  If it were not too difficult, I'd start out without that feature, and enable it on request later…or start with it, but be prepared to _disable_ it if that's how things went.

Does it have features that keep track of what logged-in users have read, and make it easy to ignore already-read messages unless they're needed for context?  That speeds reading when one is already keeping up with a large volume.