[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue Oct 11 14:32:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 09:16 +0100, Peter Tribble wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz at druber.com> wrote:
> >
> > And this continues to miss the point.
> >but honestly, it's beyond frustrating to find out that
> > there is no obvious way to do the /etc/rc.local thing I kvetched about
> > earlier
>
> Which point are you missing? You rc.local thing is trivially easy
> to address, there are well known and obvious ways to do it, and
> several people pointed out how you could do so in a few seconds.
>
> There are lots of things in OI that need fixing, seeing people making
> up non-existent problems and bikeshedding about forums vs smtp
> and users vs developers and OS choices is so frustrating.

Hello Peter:

I think your accusations of bikeshedding are unfounded and unkind. Many
stayed out of this discussion until noting that a few oi-dev regulars
like Alasdair, jeffpc, drlou, herzen, etc. expressed some interest in
exploring possibility of forums.  Such being the case, it seems more
than appropriate for further discussion to occur on oi-discuss - note
the word following the hyphen there - where a broader cross section of
oi users might have the opportunity to weigh in.

I have been involved in various projects over the years that that
utilized mlm long before forums were an option.  Yet when some, e.g.
FreeBSD, finally acknowledged the changing times the issue was discussed
before anyone ran out and launched forums.freebsd.org.  To the best of
my knowledge I have _never_ used these forums, but I don't bitch about
them being available for others. Or that others talked about it at some
length before moving forward with rolling them out.

Yes, the forum issue has come up before in oi, but to my awareness, not
for a little while now, and not ever discussed in any depth.  Yeah, us
old dogs have seen these arguments before and may have  a tendency to
sigh and shake our heads.  But that doesn't make them irrelevant to the
discussion at hand.

People disagreeing, discussing, etc. on oi-discuss is not a bad thing.
Yes, a couple people got a bit heated and sunk to some mild name
calling, but this was nothing even close to what happens from time to
time on even high profile projects. Those so easily offended need to
grow thicker skin. Maybe never move out from Mommy's house. Or
whatever.

My $0.02

Peace--

--