[OpenIndiana-discuss] smb keeps failing?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Thu Oct 13 12:52:25 UTC 2011

Sigh.  I sit down this morning, coffee in hand.  My win7 box rebooted due to
updates installed in the early hours.  I login and ...  same message about
drives not being reconnected.  I look in /var/svc/log - no file has been
touched since Oct 9.  Then I look at /var/adm/messages.  No message
involving smb since Oct 9, and that was unrelated I think (I had tried
connecting to the share from my wife's computer with wrong password.)  Note
also that if I double-click on the share icon in windows, it hangs for a bit
and then times out, telling me the network name cannot be found.  I then did
'svcadm restart smb/server' and tried opening the share again and it works.
And now there are new lines in /var/svc/log/network-smb-server:default.log

smbd: service shutting down
smbd: service terminated
[ Oct 13 08:49:33 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd start"). ]
smbd: NetBIOS services started
smbd: service initialized
[ Oct 13 08:49:33 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]
smbd_refresh_monitor: online
smbd_localtime_monitor: online
smbd_spool_monitor: online

I also did run 'svcs -xv' and there were no errors.  It looks like OI's smb
service just decided to say screw it and stop advertising the name :(