[OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh sessions timing out?

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Oct 13 13:53:17 UTC 2011

Gary Gendel wrote:
> My /etc/resolv.conf should always look like:
>
> domain genashor.com
> nameserver 10.101.1.7
>
> Doing this fixed the timeout problem.  Is there a way to get dhcpagent
> to leave resolv.conf alone, or to trigger my event handler (which
> updates the dns cache service and corrects the resolv.conf) when a BOUND
> or INFORM message comes in?

The dhcpagent(1M) man page has answers for most of this.

The parameters controlling dhcpagent are set in /etc/default/dhcpagent.
 If you set PARAM_REQUEST_LIST to exclude the DHCP bits, then the DHCP
client won't ask the server for that information.

That may or may not be enough.  DHCP servers are free to provide you
with data even if you haven't asked for it.  For that reason, there's
also a PARAM_IGNORE_LIST that can be used to get rid of the DNS gook
rather completely.

To prevent overwrite, it's sufficient to make sure that 'DNSserv' (type
6) entries are not returned; see /lib/svc/method/net-svc for the
mechanism that edits this file.  (But do _NOT_ modify that script!  Your
changes will be nuked on upgrade.  It's an internal part of the
implementation.)

If you want to use an event hook, create a /etc/dhcp/eventhook script.
See the dhcpagent(1M) man page for details.