[OpenIndiana-discuss] new desktop configuration

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri Oct 14 05:21:59 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 19:31, yudi v wrote:
> I agree, it's suspect. I couldn't figure out why they were using HW RAID
> with ZFS?
>
> I would love to try openindiana, what are the things I need to watch out
> for.
Hello.

 From personal experience OpenSolaris had the following caveats as a
desktop:
1) It didn't support 3d acceleration for AMD video adapters
2) /usr/local grew too rapidly (insufficient of packages, some soft is
hard to compile yourself - like fbreader).
3) It didn't bother me, but as I remember, it didn't support bluetooth
devices.

That said, it can be an adequate desktop, if you have Nvidia adapter,
don't use bluetooth and repositories (dev/SFE) contain everything you need.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,