[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mixing zfs raids and mirrors

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Mon Oct 17 15:19:58 UTC 2011

Hi,
I was wondering what (if any) problems I may encounter by mixing different zfs strategies on one pool,
with all equal disk sizes.
Examples:
- pool1: raidz1 a0 a1 a2 mirror a3 a4
- pool2: raidz1 b0 b1 b2 raidz1 b3 b4 b5 mirror b6 b7
- pool3: mirror c0 c1 mirror c2 c3 raidz c4 c5 c6
I'm just trying to balance pools performance and maximum space...
Last but not least:
- what if pool3 is actually the rpool (where system just occupies few GBytes), where I'll add
volumes with quotas to share? Should I keep rpool separate absolutely?
(I just don't want to miss many GB on an rpool that will just stay as it is, on the boot disks).
Thanx so much,
Gabriele.