[OpenIndiana-discuss] get X working after install from text base iso

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Oct 18 23:56:38 UTC 2011

I installed from a recent oi-dev-151a-text-x86.iso.

That iso is apparently a server model and doesn't really expect to
have a gnome desktop... I'd sooner try to install required pkgs and
whatever else I need to do to get X running, than start over with
though desktop iso.

I followed up installing OS by installing slim_install.  I had the
notion that should have installed a basic gnome desktop.

When I say startx in my users (text console) terminal I get a nice
pure black screen, and nothing else.

Can anyone fill me in the steps one should follow to have an
accessible X desktop following installing from when user started with
oi-dev-151a-text-x86.iso?

What pkgs are required, any configurations that need to be done.. that
sort of stuff.