[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS and aggregation

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Oct 20 11:47:27 UTC 2011

On 10/20/11 06:24, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> Hi, after reading a lot, I understand that LACP aggregation won't let me run a single
> connection on all the available links, but just allocate one per connection.
> So, considering this, and considering one NFS client mounting a share through an aggregated
> path, I was wondering if multiple files usage by the client will be performed through different
> connections so different links.

Generally, no.  You'll get one connection per peer.

> If the algorythm is choosing the link through MAC &or IP, then I suspect I will still be using
> one link all the time from the same client...

Yep.  If the hashing mechanism allows you to use L4 (transport layer
port numbers) discrimination, then you'll get the finest grain
distribution possible.  But if it's a single TCP connection, that'll
still be a single flow.

Ethernet trunking works great for high levels of aggregation and (with
LACP) as a low-level redundancy mechanism.  It doesn't magically make
things go faster, though.  If you want that, then you'll have to buy
faster hardware.