[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with high cpu load (oi_151a)

Rennie Allen rennieallen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:02:24 UTC 2011

Sched is the scheduler itself.  How long did you let this run?  If only
for a couple of seconds, then that number is high, but not ridiculous for
a loaded system, so I think that this output rules out a high context
switch rate.

Try this command to see if some process is making an excessive number of
syscalls:

dtrace -n 'syscall:::entry { @[execname]=count()}'

If not, then I'd try looking at interrupts...

On 10/20/11 10:52 AM, "Gernot Wolf" <gw.inet at chello.at> wrote:

> [...]
>   dtrace                                                           24
>   gnome-terminal                                                   24
>   smbd                                                             39
>   nwam-manager                                                     58
>   zpool-rpool                                                      65
>   svc.configd                                                      79
>   Xorg                                                             82
>   sched                                                        369939
>
>So, quite obviously there is one executable standing out here, "sched",
>now what's the meaning of this figures?
>
>Regards,
>Gernot Wolf
>

>Am 20.10.11 19:22, schrieb Michael Stapleton:
>> Hi Gernot,
>>
>> You have a high context switch rate.
>>
>> try
>> #dtrace -n 'sched:::off-cpu { @[execname]=count()}'
>>
>> For a few seconds to see if you can get the name of and executable.
>>
>> Mike
>> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 18:44 +0200, Gernot Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have a machine here at my home running OpenIndiana oi_151a, which
>>> serves as a NAS on my home network. The original install was
>>>OpenSolaris
>>> 2009.6 which was later upgraded to snv_134b, and recently to oi_151a.
>>>
>>> So far this OSOL (now OI) box has performed excellently, with one major
>>> exception: Sometimes, after a reboot, the cpu load was about 50-60%,
>>> although the system was doing nothing. Until recently, another reboot
>>> solved the issue.
>>>
>>> This does not work any longer. The system has always a cpu load of
>>> 50-60% when idle (and higher of course when there is actually some work
>>> to do).
>>>
>>> I've already googled the symptoms. This didn't turn up very much useful
>>> info, and the few things I found didn't apply to my problem. Most
>>> noticably was this problem which could be solved by disabling cpupm in
>>> /etc/power.conf, but trying that didn't show any effect on my system.
>>>
>>> So I'm finally out of my depth. I have to admit that my knowledge of
>>> Unix is superficial at best, so I decided to try looking for help here.
>>>
>>> I've run several diagnostic commands like top, powertop, lockstat etc.
>>> and attached the results to this email (I've zipped the results of
>>>kstat
>>> because they were>1MB).
>>>
>>> One important thing is that when I boot into the oi_151a live dvd
>>> instead of booting into the installed system, I also get the high cpu
>>> load. I mention this because I have installed several things on my OI
>>> box like vsftpd, svn, netstat etc. I first thought that this problem
>>> might be caused by some of this extra stuff, but getting the same
>>>system
>>> when booting the live dvd ruled that out (I think).
>>>
>>> The machine is a custom build medium tower:
>>> 1x IDE HD 200GB (serves as system drive)