[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with high cpu load (oi_151a)

Gernot Wolf gw.inet at chello.at
Thu Oct 20 18:17:13 UTC 2011

>> Wow, that was fast :)
>
> Just caught me with the morning coffee email review.

Well, I just had a nice dinner :)

>> However, the NIC integrated on the Intel DG965WHMKR mainbord is an Intel
>> 82566DC according to the device driver utility, the reported driver
>> e1000g. Isn't the bge driver for Broadcom NICs?
>
> And like I said, I didn't even scan the logs.  Just quick idea off top
> of my head based on similar behavior. Could well be entirely different
> underlying cause. Yes, the bge is broadcom but I think there have been
> issues with other nics.

Oh, ic :)

>> And what do you mean by "the other nvidia based interface"? This
>> mainboard has only this one integrated network interface mentioned
>> above, no pieces of nvidia hardware anywhere, as far as I can see...
>
> I didn't mean to imply that I had the same mainboard you reported. I
> have a few different nics lying around so for me this was easy test: bge
> ->  high cpu load under 'idle'; nvidia ->  goes away.

Well, you certainly have a point here.

>> Nevertheless it could be worth to try a different network driver.
>> However, as I mentioned in my previous post, my know-how concerning unix
>> is very limited. Where can I find an alternative driver for the Intel
>> 82566DC interface and how do I install it?
>
> Is this laptop of desktop?  If latter, can you just try a different
> card?  If so, OI should automatically detect and load appropriate
> driver.

Desktop. Good idea. I have this prehistoric PC here at my place, I think
I can try and put it's NIC into my OI box. But that's for tomorrow :)

>> Anyway, thanks for your quick response! :)
>
> Np.  Sorry is wasn't much help.  But I see others are putting you on
> diagnostic dtrace track so I'll bow out now. Good luck :)

Thx :) I'm curious what they will get from the results I posted. Have a
nice day! :)

Regards,
Gernot Wolf