[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS Alias/Multiple connections

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:31:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Jonathan Leafty
<jleafty+openindianadiscuss at gmail.com> wrote:
> No they're just set up in DNS.  After b134 (any flavor, OpenSolaris, Solaris
> 11 Express) it won't accept CIFS connections to DNS aliases.
>
> Windows 2008 is the same way, but you can flip a registry setting to let SMB
> Connections come in on DNS Aliases even if its not set as a SPN alias (the
> more proper way).
>
> Which brings me to another problem.  I can't authenticate against the actual
> AD SPN/Hostname, I get access denied.  But I believe I've seen a bug report
> about it.  I can go to \\hostname, but not \\hostname.fqdn  if I had a DNS
> alias as a SPN alias, it will do the same.  I haven't packet sniffed yet, as
> its not a huge issue and since there was a bug report.

Yes, here's the issue for that:  https://www.illumos.org/issues/1087
 Unable to connect to the CIFS server using \\servername.fqdn
We have someone working on it.

Perhaps your alias problem is related.

Do you have network captures for the failure?
Is it the session setup that fails? Tree connect?

Thanks,
Gordon