[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with high cpu load (oi_151a)

Rennie Allen rennieallen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:07:50 UTC 2011

Profiling is AFAIK statistical, so it might not show the correct number.

Certainly the count of interrupts does not appear high, but if the handler
is spending a long time in the interrupt...

The script I sent measures the time spent in the handler (intrstat might do
this as well, but I just don't know how intrstat works).

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Michael Stapleton <
michael.stapleton at techsologic.com> wrote:

> You might be right.
>
> But 45% of what?
>
> Profiling interrupt: 5844 events in 30.123 seconds (194 events/sec)
>
> Count indv cuml rcnt     nsec Hottest CPU+PIL
> Caller

>  2649  45%  45% 0.00     1070 cpu[1]
> i86_mwait
>  358   6%  51% 0.00      963 cpu[0]
> AcpiDebugPrint
>  333   6%  57% 0.00      960 cpu[0]
> AcpiUtTrackStackPtr
>
> 2649 times in 30 seconds totaling 1070 ns does not seem like much to me.
>
> My idle laptop shows:
>
> Count indv cuml rcnt     nsec Hottest CPU+PIL
> Caller

>  5441  93%  93% 0.00     3132 cpu[0]
> i86_mwait
>

> Mike
>
> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 20:37 +0200, Michael Schuster wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 20:33, Michael Stapleton
> > <michael.stapleton at techsologic.com> wrote:
> > > Don't know. I don't like to trouble shoot by guess if possible. I
> rather
> > > follow the evidence to capture the culprit. Use what we know to
> discover
> > > what we do not know.
> >
> > if you're answering my question: I'm not guessing that much: I looked
> > at lockstat output, and right there at the top we see i86_mwait
> > consuming 45%(!) ... so, popped that into google, the link I quote is
> > the first to appear, and the description matches well enough that I'd
> > give it a try.
> >
> > Since Gernot is seeing the issue, maybe he wants to pitch in here?
> >
> > regards
> > Michael

> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19253-01/820-5245/ghgoc/index.html

"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my
brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just
eggs hatching" - Jack Handy