[OpenIndiana-discuss] Configuring span ports on oi151

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:16:10 UTC 2011

> Thanks James. I need to sniff traffic on this bridge, but using it as port
> mirror or span port. For example, if I create a bridge with bge0, bge1, and
> bge2, I need to "see" all traffic that cross these interfaces, not only, for
> example, bge0 ... That's the problem.

I've always used tcpdump on both Linux and OpenIndiana/Solaris for
that...one session per interface:

tcpdump -i bge0 -s0 -w /tmp/bge0.pcap &
tcpdump -i bge1 -s0 -w /tmp/bge1.pcap &
tcpdump -i bge2 -s0 -w /tmp/bge2.pcap &

Are you looking for an easier method? (tcpdump on Linux allows "-i
any" to capture across interfaces but it's not promiscuous capture and
I'm not sure if the Solaris version supports it.)

-J