[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with high cpu load (oi_151a)

Gernot Wolf gw.inet at chello.at
Wed Oct 26 09:05:47 UTC 2011

Yep, I found that one too when I googled the symptoms of my box. There
may be some relation between the symptoms, on the other hand there are
also obvious differences: My system didn't start with almost no cpu load
that slowly increased until the system crashes, but showing over 50% cpu
load immediately after reboot and staying there (when idle). Contrary to
the symptoms desribed in this bug report, my system remained stable
(absolutely rock-stable, to be precise :)) over time.

So my concern wasn't that my system didn't function properly, but the
increased power usage (waste of energy) and the constant (surely
unhealthy) stress on the hardware (mainly my cpu, poor thing was working
itself to death ;)).

Of course there could be a connection between the root of my problems
and that described in this bug report, but I'm WAY out of my league
here. The only thing I noticed is that in both cases acpi seems to be
involved one way or the other.

My problems went away by setting acpi-user-options to 0x8. Of course we
still don't know what exactly was going wrong in my system. If someone
still wants to get to the heart of the matter, I'll happily run whatever
tests, diagnostic commands or scripts anyone will send me :)

Regards,
Gernot Wolf