[OpenIndiana-discuss] Poor relative performance of SAS over SATA drives

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed Oct 26 20:16:42 UTC 2011

weiliam.hong wrote:
> 3. All 4 drives are connected to a single HBA, so I assume the mpt_sas
> driver is used. Are SAS and SATA drives handled differently ?

I think others have reported poor results from combining these, even
though they're "supposed" to work via protocol translation.

http://gdamore.blogspot.com/2010/08/why-sas-sata-is-not-such-great-idea.html

> This is a test server, so any ideas to try and help me understand
> greatly appreciated.

I would use the path of least resistance: install two controllers, one
dedicated for SATA (if you must have SATA drives), and the other
dedicated for SAS.