[OpenIndiana-discuss] log messages from failed time-slider daemon

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Oct 27 22:34:13 UTC 2011

I've been told that the time-slider does not work on 151 but also
several posters responded that it works fine for them.  I'm hoping I
can get it to work too, but not sure where to start.

application/time-slider:default fails during boot up.  When I look at
the log I see it attempting to start over and over and finally giving
up.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
[...]
[ Oct 21 14:03:52 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start"). ]
crontab: can't open your crontab file.
[ Oct 21 14:04:53 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 117. ]
[ Oct 21 14:04:53 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]
[ Oct 21 14:04:53 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start"). ]
[ Oct 21 14:05:54 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 118. ]
[ Oct 21 14:05:54 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]
[ Oct 21 14:05:55 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider
start").
[...]

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Note that top line about `crontab'.  Is that the reason for the
subsequent failures?

What is going on that requires crontab to be read? And what might make
it not open.. permissions?

Is this the root crontab, or would it be a user crontab?... there is
so little information in the log output its not really possible to
figure much from it.

Do I need to increase verbosity somewhere to get usable information?

Maybe the output is plenty for an experienced system administrator but
for us regular doodoos its a bit sparse.

Looking at /var/spool/cron/crontabs

-rw------- 1 root sys    1004 2011-09-12 06:47 adm
-r-------- 1 root root   1365 2011-09-12 06:47 lp
-rw------- 1 root root   1241 2011-10-27 16:09 root
-rw------- 1 root sys    1122 2011-09-12 06:47 sys
-rw------- 1 root daemon    0 2011-10-27 16:12 zfssnap

The only one that would be un-writable to root is `lp' and I'm pretty
sure that is not involved here

So anyway, can anyone tell what is going on in the log?  Or in the
included screenshot of the boot messages: