[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sil3124 on oi151a

Mark Humphreys saskaloon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:54:14 UTC 2011

I'm seeing freezing issues doing 3-way mirrors across mainboard ICH10R (6
SATA 150/300 ports), and two SYBA SY-PEX-40008 cards (4 Port Internal SATA
II ports).

Is there an issue with the si3124 (Sil3124) driver in oi151a?  I noticed a
thread mentioning maybe something was broken from older versions of the
driver.  From http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.openindiana.general/1323 :

On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 07:58 AM, Chris Mosetick wrote:
> Recently, (about 2 months age) I had terribly experiences while testing a
> PCI and PCI-X cards that both used sil3124 chipsets.  It seems that the
> driver is in serious need of an update to work with these cards properly.
> You can create pools and file systems, but don't try to move any data larger
> than 1gig over to the pool, as the machine will kernel panic, and go into a
> state of constant reboots until you remove the card and/or the disks
> connected to it.

Oh, I wonder when they broke the driver then. It was okay for me ages
ago...I last used it on a box with an ON version before 2008.05 though.

Does anyone have any new insights into the si3124 driver?  Could the issue
be related to the fact that I am spanning my zpool across three different
controllers, as opposed to dedicating each zpool to a specific device?  Do
I need to down-grade the driver for greater stability?

Any insights as to where I could look to begin troubleshooting would be
greatly appreciated.  Especially as the system is freezing, where would I
setup and check for a system dump?  It would be nice to confirm it is
actually the storage system at fault.

Best Regards,

--
.\\ark

Mark Humphreys
Regina, SK, Canada

P.S. - Link to the SYBA HBA specifications (
http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=537 )