[OpenIndiana-discuss] FOLLOWUP: 6 Gb/s SATA drives on Intel SASUC8I

Russ Price rjp_sun at fubegra.net
Sat Sep 3 01:07:19 UTC 2011

On 08/31/2011 04:50 PM, Russ Price wrote:
 > On 08/30/2011 05:12 PM, Rich wrote:
 >> FWIW, crossflashing from IR to IT or vice-versa requires that you boot
 >> into DOS with their flasher and firmware, nuke the existing firmware,
 >> and replace it - hopefully not rebooting in the middle, because your
 >> card would be a brick if you did. :)
 >>
 >> Of course, if you did this, and it still refused to flash once you'd
 >> removed the firmware entirely, I don't have any thoughts.
 >>
 >> c.f. http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle16266.aspx
 >>

 > It was a vendor check that caused the flash to fail - and I found the solution
 > (but haven't had time to try it yet) at:
 >
 > <http://www.servethehome.com/flashing-intel-sasuc8i-lsi-firmware-guide/>

I followed the instructions to crossflash the HBA firmware and BIOS,
and it works smoothly now using the P20 IT firmware.  I tried one of
my Seagate ST3500413AS drives on my junk pool, and it works just fine.

It was NOT necessary to remove the old firmware (according to LSI, that
applies to 6 Gb HBAs, and the SASUC8I is a 3 Gb unit).

In case the instruction page disappears, the command line from the DOS
flash utility was:

sasflash -o -f 3081ETB3.fw -b mptsas.rom

There is one strange thing I've noticed under the IT firmware, though.
Namely, the device names have been scrambled, and no longer correspond
to the ports on the card, as they had under the Intel IR firmware.

old    -> new
c4t0d0 -> c4t3d0
c4t1d0 -> c4t4d0
c4t2d0 -> c4t0d0
c4t3d0 -> c4t1d0
c4t4d0 -> c4t5d0
c4t5d0 -> c4t6d0
c4t6d0 -> c4t7d0
c4t7d0 -> c4t2d0

Then, when I offlined the new c4t0d0 (a WD5000AAKS) and replaced
it with the Seagate, the newly-inserted drive became c4t8d0.

I do recall that Seagate indicates their new SATA Barracudas have
WWN capability. I'm assuming that the assignment to c4t8d0 is a
side effect of this...