[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to replace a motherboard without reinstalling OpenIndiana

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Fri Sep 9 22:30:10 UTC 2011

Hi,
I wonder how I can make an existing installation of OI work on a new
motherboard. From my past experience the operating system stopped
working when I replaced the motherboard so I had to reinstall it. I
think the reason why is because the new motherboard have different IRQ
mappings even though they had a lot of the hardware in common, which
results in the drivers not finding the hardware on the new motherboard.

So my question is how can I manually reallocate the drivers or make the
the system automatically reconfigure the drivers to the new hardware
configuration? I have put a considerable amount of time configuring the
old system so I would very much like to not have to get through the
hassle of reinstalling the system and redoing everything again.

If my RMA will be successful I will swap my old MSI 790FX-GD70 with a
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7. This motherboard has only one Realtek RTL8111E
controller whereas the old one has two RTL8111DL controllers. So I'm
considering throwing in an extra Intel EXPI9400PT controller to get two
ports like the old one (I have dedicated the other port for virtual
machines).

The other difference is that Gigabyte has ditched the JMicron
controller/extender combo (for OnBoard SATA, and good riddance it is!)
for two Marvell 88SE9172 but I won't be using that anyway. So other than
that and the newer NB/SB they feature essentially the same hardware
components.

Kind Regards
- Robin.