[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to replace a motherboard without reinstalling OpenIndiana

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Sat Sep 10 13:24:12 UTC 2011

I won't be using the Marvel controller anyway, and both Realtek network
ports work just fine on my current system with no stability issues. It's
not the first time I'm buying the Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD7 motherboard and
I have had no problems whatsoever with fitting an Intel EXPI9400PT card
in it. This network card is not meant to replace anything, this
motherboard has only one ethernet port (whereas my current motherboard
has two) and I need two of them.

To put it short; all the hardware I'm interested in using on the new
motherboard is essentially the same as the hardware on the old one
(except the north and southbridge, but I don't think OI would have any
more issues with running on the new 990FX chipset than the old one).

The problem is that the hardware on the new motherboard will most likely
be located on PCI addresses that are different from the old one (with
the possible exception of the GPU and the NB). From my experience, the
installed drivers on OI will not be happy about it so my question is how
can I reconfigure the drivers so that they use the pci addresses on the
new motherboard?