[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to troubleshoot failing hardware causing hoot hangs

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Wed Sep 14 16:32:02 UTC 2011

Hi Steve, thanks a lot for your help!
The problem is that the issues that occur are different at different
bootups. Since the beginning of this year this computer/server has been
started up and shut down a bit over 200 times, where this error occurred
5 times including today. This means that the likelyhood for this
particular error to occur is way less than 2.5%, so the odds are against
me if I want to try locating the source of this error which is not
likely to happen again anytime soon. So in order for mdb to be usefeul
it must be possible to run it at every startup without interfering with
other functions of the system.

I was also playing around with svccfg and by using svccfg -s system/hal
and issuing different commands in the svccfg shell. From the
documentation it seems that you can "inject" some specific debuggers
using the "setenv" command. I'm at wits end here but at least it's not
saying "can't do that Dave", yet.

Robin.