[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is there any implementation of VSS for a ZFS iSCSI snapshot on Solaris?

Gregory Youngblood gregory at youngblood.me
Wed Sep 14 21:24:48 UTC 2011

On Sep 14, 2011, at 2:05 PM, S Joshi wrote:
> I am using a Solaris + ZFS environment to export a iSCSI
> block layer device and use the snapshot facility to take a snapshot of the ZFS
> volume. Is there an existing Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) implementation on
> Windows for this environment?

I don't know about iSCSI and block volumes from OI to Windows, but I do know that when I exported file systems via the kernel CIFS server on opensolaris and OI to windows xp and vista (didn't have win7) machines that the ZFS snapshots showed up under the Previous Versions tab and could be used to recover files/directories/etc. just like it would from shadow copies.

I would think that with iSCSI block devices that Windows would have to manage the VSS snapshots and that the ZFS snapshots wouldn't show up there, but I've not tried so i don't know.

Greg