[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenCDE in OpenIndiana

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 04:28:29 UTC 2011

On Sep 14, 2011, at 9:57 PM, L'oiseau de mer wrote:

> Since OpenGroup's CDE was removed [from] OpenSolaris, the desktop
> [choices are now significantly reduced]. And some people [do] not like
> Gnome, so......  [Can/will] OI add OpenCDE as [an alternative] to Gnome?

Wow, I guess I can understand someone not liking Gnome, but wanting to use CDE/Motif—the UI designed by people who said, “Hmm, most UNIX UI’s aren’t as ugly and clumsy as they could be. I know that I can make something that’s a lot worse.”—instead? That’s something that I just can’t wrap my head around.

Apple’s OS X (and NeXTStep before it) has clearly shown that an excellent UI can be put on top of UNIX™ in a way that gives you the best of both worlds. Gnome and KDE are a distant second and third (in no particular order) in comparison and OpenLook comes in at a barely visible forth place. But, CDE? That nag should be put out to pasture and the person(s) who designed the desktop backgrounds should be taken out and shot.

(I still remember how excited I was when Sun licensed OpenStep and how crushed I was when the decision was made to transition to CDE instead of it.)

Phil
Formerly, Sun Windows Group