[OpenIndiana-discuss] beginners question about OI

John Thornton secretelf77 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 02:25:02 UTC 2011

Thanks for that! That worked! Then I downloaded some packages under root,
such as ruby.

Some odd p-oints:

[1] In installation from the desktop version I couldn't get the desktop
install icon to work by clicking. I had to right click/open to bring the
installation procedure and GUI up.
[2] When I installed and rebooted I was asked to put in username and
password in the text console, then I was asked to put them in again in a
splash screen log in box - so I had to input the same things twice. Weird.

Interesting distro though. I did play with opensolaris a little bit a few
years ago when it was open. Nice packages such as high performance
computing; you seem to be more enterprise/serious user focused than say,
ubuntu.

I might talk about OpenIndiana at software freedom day tomorrow.

Thanks again
John