[OpenIndiana-discuss] iprb and ncrs on 151a?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:16:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM, James McPherson
<james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Richard Lowe <richlowe at richlowe.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:36, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So I thought I would try 151a on a test system I've had sitting around
>>> (it's a white-box pentium4 machine).
>>>
>>> Two issues I would like to sanity check before I submit bugs:
>>>
>>> 1. The network appears to be driven by iprb, and doesn't work. It plumbs, but
>>> I can't get any traffic, and DHCP can't get an address. (It works up to a point,
>>> in that if I run a snoop I can see *some* packets, just not very many.)
>>
>> That sounds like an iprb bug.
>
> /me blames Garrett :-p

I've logged #1538. I'm not sure what's going on. Packets get out, no
errors appear, but very few packets are received (or appear to be
received).

>>> 2. I've got a symbios 53c875 card (actually, several) in the box, and
>>> these don't
>>> get picked up at all. That was ncrs, right? Has that gone?
>>
>> ncrs is gone, yes, (prior to the split, even).  Isn't that the driver
>> that lived on somewhat as glm? or am I confused?
>
> Yes, ncrs was the poor, mostly-unmaintained and 32bit ONLY
> cousin of glm. The removal of ncrs should have happened years
> ago.

That's #1523. So the problem is that while ncrs has been removed, glm
hasn't picked up any driver aliases to compensate. There's probably a
discussion worth having here as to what's worth adding. My view (as in
the issue comments) is that we should add the ids to support what we can.

--
-Peter Tribble