[OpenIndiana-discuss] Dual boot with Linux

Ashutosh Narayan aashutoshnarayan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:43:25 UTC 2011

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your inputs. I went through /etc/grub.d/40_custom file ;
so I think if I add Open Indiana's grub entries here I should be able to see
them in grub menu and as well boot to O-I build 148 that I have installed ?

Second, I could not find "GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER= " parameter
under /etc/default/grub , do you want me to manually add it there ?

Third how can I mount a Solaris2 partition on Linux ?
Reason, I want to see the menu.lst entries of O-I.
I can't boot to O-I because I re-installed grub after installing O-I.
Other way could be I should boot off O-I live cd and then mount
Solaris2 partition to note down those entries.

Thanks !

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Gary Driggs <gdriggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I forgot that Mint is based on Ubuntu so therefore you're dealing with Grub
> 2. Have a look for /etc/grub.d/40_custom. Alternately, edit
> /etc/default/grub and set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false (or comment it out if
> set to true). I don't know how well Grub 2 plays with Solaris2 partitions
> but others on the list may have additional feedback. Meanwhile, Ubuntu have
> their own thorough writeup on Grub 2 should you get lost in the weeds:
> http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
>
> -Gary

Ashutosh Narayan

http://ashutoshn.wordpress.com | Skype: ashutoshnarayan | Twitter: