[OpenIndiana-discuss] Revive retired disks with data sets on them with vitual OI

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Sun Apr 1 19:48:06 UTC 2012

On 3/30/12 8:41 AM, Richard Elling wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2012, at 2:01 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> USB drives tend to ignore cache flush commands, which can appear as
>>> unreliable disks. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you rarely plug them.
>>
>> Is the kind of size (3.5 TB) and scale mentioned above available in usb drives?
>> Any chance of mirrored pairs as described?
>
> Something like:
> http://sharecenter.dlink.com/ShareCenter_Meet_The_Family
>
> Kinda makes DIY look expensive.

This is probably a fine box, but it's it's own network fileserver
running it's own OS and (presumably) filesystem.  Like ReadyNAS, QNAP
boxes, etc.

I.e. it presumably won't let you plug in existing ZFS disks and access
existing data on them, unless I'm missing the internal implementation.

Of course for more than "suck the data off the old disks over USB, once"
this may be more reliable then using USB day-to-day.

Hugh.