[OpenIndiana-discuss] improvement to online zone moves?

Anil Jangity anilj at me.com
Wed Apr 4 02:41:16 UTC 2012

Are there any improvements planned for OI/Illumos with being able to migrate a zone from one system to another w/o having to detaching or doing some offline cloning? (in a "supported" way)

I really wish something can be made to make this type of move easier.

The proper way is to 1) halt, 2) detach, 3) zfs send|recv and 4) configure the zone on the destination host

I would really like to instead do:

1) zfs send|recv 2) configure zone on destination host

I understand the need to do zone *upgrade* on the destination, which is normally taken care of when doing attach -u, but I still wish we had something more friendly.

Thanks