[OpenIndiana-discuss] Symbolic links broken on NFS clients

Martyn Klassen mklassen at imaging.robarts.ca
Mon Apr 9 14:41:54 UTC 2012

I have a OI 151a2 server sharing numerous filesystems via NFSv4 to CentOS 5/6 clients, and symbolic links are broken on the clients. I get IO errors trying to read the symbolic links on the clients. However, I can destroy and create a symbolic link on the client and it will work for the one client until the NFS share is unmount and remounted, then the symbolic link is broken again. Curiously, not all symbolic links are broken, only approximately 99% of them. It does not seem to be related to size, destination, or location of the symbolic link. I have also tried NFSv3 with the same results. The links are always fine on the OI server. Any suggestion on what might be causing this would be appreciated.

The nfs server settings are

$ sharectl get nfs
servers=16
lockd_listen_backlog=32
lockd_servers=20
lockd_retransmit_timeout=5
grace_period=90
server_versmin=2
server_versmax=4
client_versmin=3
client_versmax=3
server_delegation=on
nfsmapid_domain=****
max_connections=-1
protocol=ALL
listen_backlog=32
device=

The shares are created from ZFS filesystems using sharenfs set to

ro=@10.0.0.0/8,rw=@10.2.40.0/24:@10.2.20.0/24:@10.2.150.0/24:@10.1.40.0/24:@10.1.20.0/24:@10.1.150.0/24,root=@10.2.40.0/24:@10.2.20.0/24:@10.2.150.0/24:@10.1.40.0/24:@10.1.20.0/24:@10.1.150.0/24

Because the filesystems will also be shared via CIFS they were created with casesensitivity=mixed and nbmand=on as the Solaris documents suggests for CIFS shared filesystems.

Martyn