[OpenIndiana-discuss] REALTEK network card and pppoe config

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Apr 9 19:11:15 UTC 2012

Mountpeaks wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 04:22:04 -0400 (EDT)
> mountpeaks at lavabit.com wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm back with my pppoe trouble on REALTEK.
> I've made some logging but can't understand what is going wrong. The pppoe connection seems to be up, but I still do not have internet access.
> I've pasted my logs here -> http://pastie.org/3757084
> download link ->  http://pastie.org/pastes/3757084/download

The command output appears to be inconsistent with itself -- as if the
commands were run at widely varying times with different system
configurations.  But I can make a guess at the problem.

Your problem appears to be with routing, not with PPP.

You have two default routes.  That's perfectly legal, but almost
certainly not what you want.

One default route (to 178.121.0.1) is installed by pppd, and points over
the newly-constructed PPP interface.  The other default route (to
192.168.1.1) was installed by DHCP, and points over the rge0 interface.

Unless both of those routes describe equivalent ways to reach the global
Internet, and can be used interchangeably, you probably don't want to
have both.

At a guess, you've got an RFC 1918 (private) network configured directly
on rge0.  That's perfectly fine, but the status and configuration of
that network is unclear.

If the system located at 192.168.1.1 is unable to able to reach the
global Internet, then you do NOT want to have a default route pointing
to that address.  It will act as a black hole for packets, causing a
loss of connectivity.

If, on the other hand, 192.168.1.1 is a default router (i.e., it's able
to reach the global Internet), then you really don't need the PPPoE
connection at all, and it's unclear what you're trying to do.

So what is 192.168.1.1?  If it's a NAT that has a PPPoE connection to
your Internet service provider, then you might not need to attempt to
configure PPPoE on this system.  Just use the existing DHCP
configuration on rge0, and be happy.

If it's something else, then you'll either need to disable DHCP on rge0
so that you don't get this bogus bit of configuration, or at least
disable the DHCP default route mechanism.