[OpenIndiana-discuss] Single User Mode?? How??

Richard Kowalski richard at optimal.org
Tue Apr 10 15:17:38 UTC 2012

Hi Hans,

Essentially you need to edit your Grub menu entry during boot to add the
string "-s" to the end of the kernel line:

kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B
$ZFS-BOOTFS,console=graphics -s

You can do something more optimal by adding a new Grub menu entry (Below
the END BOOTADM line) by editing your /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst file:

title OpenIndiana Development oi_151a SINGLE USER MODE
findroot (pool_rpool,0,a)
bootfs rpool/ROOT/openindiana
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS -s
module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive

Rules:

You should also exclude these whole lines:
"splashimage /boot/solaris.xpm"
"foreground FF0000"
"background A8A8A8"

You should exclude from the kernel line:
",console=graphics"

You should add to the kernel line:
"-s"

Best,