[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updating OI not working on low bandwith because of IPS per package timeout

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:24:51 UTC 2012

I tried now (and several times before)
to update Openindiana installation (From one to another OI /dev release)
but it is not possible because over my connection (200Kbit = 20KB/s,
mobile flat)
update stops and goes belly-up when downloading larger packages. (qemu)

Even restarting update multiple times gives same results.

I suppose:
1. IPS does not download package if it is large and does not download
inside some server-side time frame.
2. pkg does not continue downloading partially downloaded packages.

I would like update to be working,
since update process IS downloading at a full available speed until lit
is interrupted for timeout (while downloading),
so timeout is not at the connection/network level, it is somewhere in
IPS, deciding "not gonna wait for package to download" even if it is
downloading at decent speed.

export PKG_LIENT_TIMEOUT=240 or anything more will not help on client side.

Previously, I used to just give up updating OI and do it only when
faster internet is available.

But I think OI should be able to update no matter what is connection
speed, if it is downloading packages at a steady rate already (20KB/s)