[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using OI as a combined storage serverandvirtual server enviroment

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Fri Apr 20 12:51:22 UTC 2012

Depending on your cpu&motherboard, an alternative 'all in one' server is to
run ESXi on it, and virtualize OI.  A key requirement for good performance
is that cpu/motherboard support vt-d (pci pass-through.)  the only trick is
that you need two disk controllers - one that you pass through, and one to
run a single (small & cheap) disk for the local datastore that OI would live
on.  Be aware though that this is not officially supported by VMWare, so you
need to make sure you are using HW that people know works.