[OpenIndiana-discuss] Qmail-to-go on openindiana?

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Tue Apr 24 13:30:04 UTC 2012

With all this discussion about Postfix vs. Qmail, I started looking at
what it would take to replace my Qmail installation with Postfix.  I
started looking at what it would take to replace spamdyke with postfix
functionality.  Most things have a direct correlation.  One case so far,
greylisting, requires running an independent email proxy for postfix
where it is incorporated in spamdyke.  I'm still working through the
list but many of the configuration options need more detailed
documentation or I'll have to work through the code to see exactly what
it's trying to accomplish.  For example, it took me quite awhile to dig
out how postfix handles CIDR notation.

The pipeline architecture of qmail has been instrumental at making
third-party additions incredibly simple. You can easily plug in special
debugging modules, and even tee off things so you can test new modules
in parallel with real operations.  Before spamdyke was available, I had
developed a number of homebrew modules for spam analysis and control.
That said, qmail isn't 100% sendmail compatible, so occasionally I ran
into issues with unhandled sendmail options (until patched).  I don't
know whether postfix suffers from the same issue yet.

Since my Qmail based system does not inherently support IPV6 and would
require significant patching I'm committed to move to Postfix before
this becomes necessary.  However, Postfix configuration is far more
complex if you are someone that likes to understand the purpose of each
option and it's impact to other options.  I will also miss the
simplicity of making a split-horizon caching DNS service via
dnscache/tinydns when I need to go to IPV6 which is an important piece
of any email system in a private networked LAN.

Gary