[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSDs honoring cache flush?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Tue Apr 24 19:35:10 UTC 2012

Hi all

There was a discussion some time back about some (or most?) SSDs not honoring cache flushes, that is, something is written to, say, the SLOG, and ZFS sends a flush(), the SSD issues a NOP and falsely acknowledges the flush.

Now, I've gotten an offer for an SSD that looks good for SLOG, OCZ Deneva 2 C SLC 30GB 2.5" SSD. This does not have supercap, but so long as it honors cache flush, then it won't make a huge difference, since if a write() happens, the SSD cache is flushed to the SSD media, this probably won't take more than a handful of milliseconds, and the difference between that and backing up the cache, seems minimal.

Still, does today's SSDs honor cache flush, or do they still lie about it to look better in benchmarks?

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 98013356
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å unngå eksessiv anvendelse av idiomer med fremmed opprinnelse. I de fleste tilfeller eksisterer adekvate og relevante synonymer på norsk.