[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot open: Illegal byte sequence with a file containing a question mark

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:55:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Flo <florian at acw.at> wrote:
> Are there any disadvantages with utf8only disabled?

If you have a filesystem that is utf8only with a specific
normalization scheme, then all files will have consistent names.
Otherwise, the files could have various odd filenames. I believe the
OpenSolaris ZFS manual gives the example that different OSes choose to
map the same characters to different symbols, so if you create a file
named (eg. - probably incorrect) "ó" on a Mac, you might not be able
to access it from Windows because Windows maps the "ó" character to
something different.

Now that you've extracted the files, I would suggest copying them to a
utf8only filesystem with some normalization scheme (I think Napp-It
suggests a specific one).

Jan